Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Picacho Peak State Park

Saturday Jan 17, 2015:  We left Cactus Gardens in Yuma around 8:30, arrived at Picacho Peak State Park around 1:00.  Nice drive, no wind to speak of and little traffic..





our site is pretty private and large.  $25 a night but no water at site....  we had to fill up at the front.

took a walk and found beautiful flowering cactus..and wildflowers





can't beat the sunset!


It has been months since we had a fire and listened to good old honky tonk!  Feels like we are back home!  As much as we liked the resorts we really like the state parks a bit better.  It feels more like home!  No close neighbors, campfire, stars, quiet and beautiful.  We will be here 4 nights before heading to Catalina State Park for a week..  11 wonderful days in the desert (woods)!


Sun Jan 18:  went looking for birds again today. this was a driving day, no walking but we did find two new ones, not necessarily the ones we were looking for but new ones non the less...

at the feed lot there were a couple hundred Yellow headed Blackbirds
lark sparrow

can't resist the sunsets

great day, although it could have been better had we been walking instead of riding..

Monday Jan 19:  today was our walking day!  first stop was the filled with water gravel pit.  We seen lots of birds including this Gila Woodpecker



 his feathers got a little ruffled in the wind

onto a few other spots before we went to Sweetwater Wetlands where we seen this young Black Crowned Night Heron

we also seen this coyote, he just kind of walked slowly by:



A great dinner (catfish and meatloaf) at Cracker Barrel ends the day.

Tuesday Jan 20:  Oops...  when we got home last night the temp in the RV was at 84, opened windows and door to get the air moving.  Well by the time we went to bed it was 75 in the RV, I did not set the temperature correctly so when we got up it was 57!  a bit chilly but I did sleep all night!  Once the furnace comes on it does not take long to heat up.

Today was our explore our park day.  We took a 2 mile hike up the mountain in the morning and a 3 mile hike in the afternoon.  This desert is pretty green compared to Calif.





Cactus wren on a cactus!


Wed Jan 21  heading to Catalina State Park for a week.  It is about a 35 mile ride...so no hurry to get moving this morning.

7 comments:

  1. sunsets, are beautiful. what does Picacho mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been hiking at Picacho a few times while visiting my uncle in Tucson, great place! Did you guys make it to the top? Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, we did not make it to the top! it was about 3 miles to the top, we only went about 1.75 miles up before turning around. it is a beautiful park, and we would likely stay here again.

      Delete
    2. I must clarify: I was in my twenties when I climbed that peak, now that I am in my thirties I don't think I would attempt it!

      Delete
  3. You were probably wise not to try making it to the top. We did, once. My legs were sore for days. Won't do it again--even if I could.

    ReplyDelete